As part of comprehensive medical care, the Dermatology department at Dean offers sclerotherapy to treat spider veins. In these cases, because of leg pain or blood flow problems, sclerotherapy treatments are medically necessary.
But what about the far-more-common cases where veins are simply unsightly and not a medical problem?
Combining the resources of Dean Clinic Dermatology and the Dean Aesthetic Surgery Center, patients can now receive cosmetic sclerotherapy from the same experts who perform the procedure when it’s medically necessary.
Sclerotherapy is a safe, proven, and effective nonsurgical treatment for veins of all sizes that can be performed in the office.
During the treatments, a tiny needle is used to introduce a sclerosing solution (typically a saline solution or a mild detergent) into the target vein. This solution displaces the blood in the vein, causing it to immediately fade or appear lighter in color. Second, the solution irritates the vein lining and causes the vein walls to adhere together, preventing the vein from filling with blood again. The blood is then redirected to healthier veins and circulation improves. Typically, a few weeks after treatment, the treated vein is absorbed by the body and disappears.
If you have spider veins that only require cosmetic (not medical) treatment, consider the benefits of cosmetic sclerotherapy:
- It is performed in the office during a routine office visit.
- No anesthesia is necessary.
- There is very little discomfort.
- Patients can resume normal activity soon after treatment.
- The results can be remarkably good.
- There is no pre-treatment preparation.
- There is no post-treatment scarring.
- Most patients require several treatment sessions. The greater the number of veins present, the more sessions that are required.
For more information, or for an initial sclerotherapy consultation at the Dean Aesthetic Surgery Center, simply call (608) 821-4000.